Mar 16, 2015

In the Kitchen with Chicbusymom: Cozy White Bean Soup


I was in my local Whole Foods yesterday and had no idea what I was going to make for dinner. I happen to go down the bean aisle and was struck by a can of Cannellini beans or white beans when I got the idea to make White Bean Soup.

I figured it couldn't be too hard and would last at least for two dinners. I had already picked up some red kale so I figured I'd throw that in too. It took no time and I have to say if was the bomb. Here is the recipe for you. As a note, I used this recipe as a guide but as you can see I augmented quite a bit.


Prep time: 25 min
Cook time: 30 min

INGREDIENTS:
7 oz. Turkey sausage kielbasa (sliced then diced)
1 Tbsp. Olive oil
2 15 oz. cans of Cannellini beans (do not drain)
1 small onion (diced)
1 Tbsp. of minced Garlic
4 cups of Kale
1 cup sliced carrots
2/3 stalks of celery sliced and diced
1 cup of water
1 cup of chicken broth
1 Bouillon cube
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 palm size full of Parsley


DIRECTIONS:
In a medium sauce pan throw in onions and cook until translucent (about 5-6 minutes). Next put in garlic and cook for one minute. Next put in celery, carrots and kale and cook until kale looks tender but not mushy. Pour in both cans of beans. 

In a separate pan put olive oil and sausage and cook until sausage has a springy-ness about it (4 min or so). Drain and put sausage into soup pot. Add water and chicken broth and stir. Add bouillion cube, salt and pepper to taste.  Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for another 20 minutes. Add parsley.

Serve immediately with warm bread. I used Naan which I warm in a flat pan (2.5 min) with a smidge of olive oil to wake up the flavor.


No comments :