|(L to R) Ginger + Liz|
The interview you are about to read was done by my friend in bloggerdom, Renae Bluitt of InHerShoesBlog.com.
Renae was gracious enough to share this post about two moms and business partners (Ginger + Liz) who I've had the pleasure of working with on more than one occasion (see my post about my daughter's 6th Birthday).
Check out their story of enterpreneurship and new motherhood. Thanks Renae and congrats G+L!
What happens when your business partner of four years tells you she’s going to be a mom? You celebrate and prepare to support her with all of your heart! When a sister-friend is presented with one of life’s biggest blessings, it’s time for you to fill in the gaps…and trust, it will be necessary as your partner welcomes new life into her world.
For H. Ginger Johnson and Sara Liz Pickett, founders of the highly coveted non-toxic nail lacquer collection, Ginger + Liz, this scenario is all too familiar but with an even sweeter twist. Just eight months after Ginger gave birth to her beautiful baby girl, Liz also added “mom” to the long list of titles she rocks!
“We have a very unique situation…as business owners, we are able to bring our daughters to work. As many women know, this is a blessing but is also one of the hardest things to balance…being mommy and working at the same time.” –Ginger + Liz
How do two Fly Female Entrepreneurs make it all work? Today, the ladies of Ginger + Liz share a few priceless tips for juggling entrepreneurship and motherhood. It’s no easy feat but these women seem to have the formula for success:
1. Set an evening routine for your little one. Since children respond to familiarity and consistency, a dinner, bathtime, bedtime routine is key. This way, you determine the bedtime, not them!
2. Stay up a couple hours after they go to bed to get some much needed work done and save at least 30 minutes after you close your laptop for some ME time. Light a candle, pick up a book, listen to some soothing music. This is the perfect time to recharge your battery.
3. Fit in uninterrupted quality time in the morning. I read to my daughter for about 20 minutes and play with her for another 20-30 mins when she wakes up in the morning. It helps to start the day upbeat.
4. Keep coffee, tea or a big bottle of water at arms length. It keeps you going!
5. Take your little one on a mid-morning stroll…a little fresh air always prompts a nice lengthy nap.
6. Are you concerned about being that mom on a conference call with a crying baby in the background? Use this time to breastfeed…it keeps them quiet!
7. Write out your “to-do” list every night before going to bed so that you can hit the ground running in the morning.
8. Calendar alerts for all important tasks.
9. While balancing work and new motherhood, don’t be afraid to ask for help from family, friends and of course your significant other – it certainly takes a village.
10. Don’t be too hard on yourself – everyday is a learning experience if you stay flexible and keep an open mind.
In honor of their new bundles of joy, Ginger + Liz have added a new shade to their nail lacquer collection. “Gimme Some Suga” is a crème opaque cherry blossom pink with a perfect mix of maturity and fun. Whether you get it from your baby or your lover…who doesn’t need some suga?