Apr 12, 2012

Spring Break: Easy Does It

If you live in the NYC area this week was your Spring Break. I wasn't really ready to say the least, I had recently gotten back from Jamaica and before I knew it, Spring Break was here. 


The plan was to take the kids to Miami for a quick jaunt but by the time I checked the airline rates for 5 people during Easter weekend it was like $6-$900 a person. Clearly this idea had to kick rocks and I had to find another solution--there was only one problem...daddy couldn't go anymore, yikes!! 


If I may paint this picture for you, this means I would be traveling by myself with 3 children to whatever destination we chose. So, if the older one wants to do something the other two don't want to do then what? Or if the baby has a full on meltdown and needs to go back to the hotel room for a nap then what? Yeah, pretty much sucks.


Think mommy, think. Ouila! On the advice of my another mommy warrior in my camp, Jovanca we set out to investigate an advertised deal from Time Out Kids NY for Rocking Horse Ranch in Highland Park, NY (90 minutes outside of the city). The all inclusive kids resort was kind of a no-brainer for me for the following reasons:


1. I would be with a bunch of other parents and children 
2. Any tantrums, pouting, crying etc would be looked upon as the norm 
3. All inclusive for kids is a dream because let's face it. Kids waste food. This would give them an opportunity to taste a bunch of things, eat what they like and me not fret about the incremental cost.


Wrap it up with a bow--I was SOLD. Yes, this seemed to be something I could manage by myself and not go crazy. 


One recommendation, book early during peak seasons--we could only get a few days because of spring break. The kids however had a great time swimming in the indoor water park, going to the petting zoo where they had  camels, Highlander cows, zebra and donkeys, playing in the arcade and fun barn, bungee jumping, going on the horse trail and even the Easter Egg Hunt. I especially loved the $5 Cabernets that they serve to parents during the puppet show. It's like they know what you are going through :-)




So...if you are in the market for a fun affordable family weekend or few kick back days with the kids then check them out. See our Spring Break flashback below:



Of course the kids swindled me into buying them cowboy hats
This is Sylvia Fletcher who is an awesome ventriloquist. I thought I would have to suffer through her show but it was actually pretty funny. The parent passed wine also helped.
I know this photo is far away but it doesn't matter. I was so proud of my 8 year old for going on the horse trail by himself that I had to snap this shot. The other two were two young so we had to head over to the pony rides. See below:


The indoor water park...
My two oldest racked up at the Easter Egg Hunt
  

The Easter Bunny freaked out the baby so he could only grab these two eggs

 Awww, fun nonetheless. What did you do for Spring Break this year?


-Chicbusymom


No comments :