Nov 17, 2011

Horseplay With My Kids Will Get You Off'd


Normally, I write with a bit of humor and wit because that’s just who I am but today I am a mother who is upset. For the past two weeks I have been stewing in the corner as I keep up with the Penn State Scandal. I have read a lot of information explaining the 40 counts of sexual abuse over a period of 15 years -most recently the incredibly disturbing grand jury testimonies related to the first 8 victims (as you may know there are 10 more who have come forward). I have watched several television reports including the now infamous one between Bob Costas and Jeff Sandusky. In case you missed it, here are a few of the quotes .

From Jerry Sandusky:

Am I sexually attracted to underage boys? [pause] Sexually attracted? No, you know, I enjoy young people. I love to be around them. 

But no, I'm not sexually attracted to young boys. I have horsed around with kids. I have showered after workouts. I have hugged them and I have touched their legs without intent of sexual contact.

We were showering, and horsing around, and he actually turned all the showers on, and was, uh, actually sliding across the floor. And we were—as I recall—possibly snapping a towel. Horseplay.

This man allegedly used a charitable organization, Second Mile, that he founded (and was the main fundraiser for) to find his victims and prey on their innocence (what a genius business plan for a pedophile)!

I say all this to say, how many fools does it take to ruin one child’s life? In my opinion this is  by far one of the largest institutional cover-ups ever. These were people that were entrusted to take care of and watch over our children, particularly ones in need. And for what? Football and money?

All things considered it doesn’t sound like Jerry Sandusky was at all very inconspicuous. He was pretty sloppy to say the least and with all that he is only being called to task 15 years later (where one witness is now suffering from dementia and cannot even testify)! Who is asleep at the wheel here folks? Sandusky is not the only one at fault here either. Just because the others (and  there are many) didn’t commit the crime doesn’t make them absolved from guilt. If you knew about it and continued to turn a blind eye or you saw something and physically did nothing to stop it, YOU ARE GUILTY TOO. You (as a collective) have ruined these kids (now adults) lives and have put a stain on them that can never be washed away. And Mr. Sandusky’s continued refusal of guilt only amplifies it.

I love my kids and I would go to the end of the earth for them. I speak to them all the time and I look at them (I mean really look at them) to see if they are different in any way. I want them to know they can talk to me about ANYTHING. I want them to have that safety and comfort. This is of the utmost importance. I am overprotective and weary of many things but I try not to stifle them (with urging from my husband). They should see the world but it will be under our watchful eyes. And they KNOW it is never right to shower with a grown adult, EVER because that right there will get you off’d…just try me.

When I think about this story it makes me so very sad as a mother and a parent and I really hope justice is served in this case (although I am doubtful).

-chicbusymom

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

AMEN! This whole this is very disturbing to me, and not that I have been REALLY keeping up, because it makes my stomach turn. But I am shocked that I haven't see more statements like yours everywhere. PPL seem to be more concern with joe p being fired.... SMH

chicbusymom said...

I know right?! Where is our human decency? More people need to be called to task here.