Aug 11, 2015

Turks & Caicos: Having Fun as a Family & You can too

Turks & Caicos is a great place for a family vacation.  We went recently and had the time of our lives. It starts with where you decide to stay. Depending on the age of your kids you may want to look for a hotel that has a kid's club or childcare services so you can break away for some me time. A friend of mine had told me she and her family always stay at Beaches--that they have a great kids camp and child drop program. I just remember it being super crowded and my husband and I had decided we already just wanted to CHILL.

The other thing that is key is budget. I found our hotel on and flights on Expedia.com. We stayed at The Somerset on Grace Bay which is yes a resort but the location is made up of a series of villas and suite-like residences.

 When I booked the 3 bedroom unit for our family of five I had no idea what I was in for. We walked in our unit and our mouths literally just dropped as we ran from room to room. I definitely recommend this hotel for your stay if you are with a group with an extended stay. If you stay for at least 5 days I recommend you going to the IGA grocery store and save a few dollars by cooking your own breakfast and or lunch. Our villa had a full kitchen, stove and dishwasher included.

The beach in T&C is spectacular and by far my most favorite beach in the entire Caribbean. Before I launch you into our trip in pictures here a few places to add to your must-see and do list:

  • The Conch Shack or Bugaloos both are on the beach and at The Conch Shack (we went here) you can watch them take the conch right out the shell or buy the shells on the spot. Our friends we met on the catamaran went to Bugaloos and said it was the best food during their entire trip. 
  • Carve out 1/2 day to book the Island Vibes Tour - this catamaran will take you out to the middle of the ocean where you can snorkel, you also make a stop at Iguana Island, have your fair share of rum punches and can enjoy the great stories from your ship captain and then slide from the top of the boat right into the ocean. My kids had a ball!
  • Island Fish Fry - happens every Thursday from 5:30-9pm at Bight Children's Park
  • Mango Reef Restaurant - you can dine on the beach here (reservation required). I recommend the Watermelon Carpaccio (sooooo good)
  • Provo Ponies - we didn't go here but I have heard its great. You can go for a horseback ride on the water
I so wish I was back there...

If you ever have any questions about your upcoming trip to the island, feel free to email me at chicbusymom@gmail.com. Happy summering...
.




No comments :