Feb 28, 2012

La Traviata



About two weeks ago my friend Vicky lured me to the Opera with her to see La Traviata. I have to admit I was very interested in going when she originally asked me. I mean the Opera?! I had never been before and even better it was basically in my backyard at Brooklyn Academy of Music so I didn't have to go far. You couldn't beat that with a stick.

This is what BAM's website had to say:

New York City Opera comes to BAM with Verdi’s masterpiece La traviata in a new production by acclaimed director Jonathan Miller (St. Matthew Passion, BAM 2009 Spring Season; Il matrimonio segreto, BAM 2008 Spring Season). Miller’s take on this tragic tale of love and life—both lost and found—focuses on the psychological drama between the characters, powerfully conveyed with stark realism by an outstanding cast.

Brooklyn native Laquita Mitchell, hailed by The New York Times for her “powerful” voice, stars as opera’s most fascinating heroine opposite Canadian tenor David Pomeroy in his City Opera debut.

Laquita Mitchell? Wait a minute, could it be that the lead character was black? Well, I definitely had to see this.

However, when the date finally came I was so swamped at work and had been working such long days that  I secretly wanted to cancel. Not because I didn't want to go but this chicbusymom was just plain pooped.

I didn't cancel however but instead gussied myself up and hurried myself to the BAM Howard Gillman Opera House. When the curtain went up and I saw Laquita (definitely black) I was ecstatic for some reason. Her voice is like crystal cut glass and the entire show was just lovely (with subtitles-yay!). Needless, to say I was very happy that I went.

Afterward, we stopped for a bite at Grocery in Cobble Hill (on recommendation from my girl Losing in the City blog) and I had what you see below, Baked Lobster Pasta. IN YOUR LIFE you have never had anything this good. Its a small restaurant, just a few tables and amazing service. The lights were too bright but I can forgive that for the food alone.My friend Vicki (lime green nails) had a flank steak dish with the most delicious sweet potato strudel -to die for!!!

After that I was definitely ready to pass out but I have to say that Vicky is a great date. Love ya to pieces doll and thanks for pushing me to culture myself.

-smooches,
chicbusymom




No comments :