Jul 23, 2012

I got the summer weight blues



Usually the summer marks a time when everyone begins to peel off the layers and head en mass towards the beach or pool. I  am currently doing the exact opposite. After losing 17lbs between November and February I have successfully put a good portion of it back on due to stress at work and just being lazy. I’m not proud of it. I think the thing I find most troubling about the weight is its location—my belly.

I don’t really gain that much weight anywhere else and I’m fairly tall so more often than not  I’m able to hide it with clothing. Of course I  know good and well what I look like under my clothes and frankly it pisses me off.  I don’t have low self-esteem and I don’t practice is self deprecating behavior. I do however, get sick of seeing the steady stream of women who have had children (multiples) even who look stick thin like 2 months after giving birth. Truth be told, its best to get baby weight off right after you have the baby. It’s much harder to get weight off that has been on you for some time. Also, if you were active pre-baby your body has more ‘snap back’ and you can get back to your normal weight much faster.  That all being said, I know these celebs have trainers and chefs and the like but it just doesn’t help the regular folks like me who are two cheeseburgers away from things going left (extreme joking but you get the point). I am not making excuses but I am human and summer this year has given me the weight blues.

You see, I had my first child at 30 and I literally did nothing and lost all my weight (see snap back reference above). I had been thin (like Angelina, yes that’s my collar bone thin) all my life and just assumed that was my lot. I was actually looking forward to bigger boobs post baby (that didn’t happen either). Boy did I have another thing coming. By the time, baby number two came via C-section, my cute little natural pouch turned into a fanny pack that I now have to strategically hide with ‘chic’ blousy tops and be keenly aware of what looks good on me. Between that and having fibroids I now stick to coverage and illusion. I’m like the David Blaine for the body.

Needless to say, when summer comes around so do the instant beads of sweat at the mere thought of taking my kids to the beach and having to wear anything with Lycra in it. It doesn’t help that my husband has that the metabolism of a 14 year old and is cut up like deli sandwich (!!*$%)—um boo…I’ll be over here in my Snuggie. I am blessed and thankful to say he still thinks I’m beautiful the way I am.

Therefore, I’m embarking on another journey in hopes to lose 10-15lbs by the end of the year again. With that, I’m putting down the celeb weeklies (well not really but now I’m just rolling my eyes at the pictures) with the airbrushed photos of post-baby celeb bodies and have reactivated my gym membership. I truly hope I can report back to you with good news, like that I’ve purchased 3 Bodycon (who in the hell came up with this moniker?!) dresses from Asos.

Anyhoo, anyone else have belly issues and dread bathing suit season like me? Share with me what you are doing to get the body and health you want. I could use your wisdom.

#getlifted
#getfit

Best, Chicbusymom

2 comments :

Best mentee ever said...

SAME HERE!! Almost at the very same moment I am experiencing these things- sans children.... Whyyyyy? I am so proud of you for getting back on a fit plan- I have re-started my fit plan too, so we're workout buddies in spirit. Keep up the good work!

Monica said...

My girlfriend and I just completed a 30 day #BodyReboot to get our minds 'in the game' and it was awesome!! You've got to make it a habit and the. It's ON from there!,